Fibromyalgia is a health condition that causes widespread pain and sensitivity to touch.
This type of condition is more common in women than in men.
Is still unknown to science why some people may suffer from Fibromyalgia, even though is known that stress can play a major role.
On the other hand, genetics can also be the reason why someone can suffer from Fibromyalgia.
Signs and symptoms
Symptoms of fibromyalgia may include:
- sleep disturbances
- numbness and tingling of the hands and feet
- muscle and joint stiffness after a period of rest (after sleeping)
Other conditions could occur during the manifestation of symptoms for FiTo
Diagnosis of fibromyalgia
To be diagnosed with Fibromyalgia you have to visit your GP at first, who may will refer you to a specialist.
The most widely used clinical criteria for diagnosing fibromyalgia is sourced from the American College of Rheumatology:
- pain and symptoms over the past week, based on the total of:
- number of painful areas out of 18 parts of the body
- the severity of these symptoms:
- waking unrefreshed
- cognitive problems (that can be memory or thought)
- plus other general physical symptoms
- symptoms lasting at least 3 months unchanged
- exclusion of other health problems that could reproduce the pain and other symptoms.
Treatment and management
So, currently, there is no direct cure for fibromyalgia, but there are many treatments that can help, like:
You can also talk to your GP to see what medications can reduce or manage the pain.
Regarding MLD, it is an effective technique, as already disgusted in another blog post that can help with chronic pain management.
Furthermore, MLD has a powerful relaxation effect, that can help in reducing the stress response and so alleviate the symptoms of Fibromyalgia.
Are you in need of treatment?
Follow this link to book your next massage session.